This is the easiest, no fail pizza recipe..I have never gone back to the store bought pizza base after this and Moreover I made 3 medium sized, delicious pizzas in less than 150 Rs ..now isn't that a good reason to roll up the sleeves and head to the kitchen? ;)
This recipe is from veg recipes of India , I have tweaked it to my taste though
For Pizza Base:
All purpose flour( maida)-3 cups
Warm water-1 cup
Instant dry yeast-2 tsp
Sugar -1/2 tsp
Olive oil-2 tbsp
For pizza sauce:
Garlic cloves-6( finely chopped)
Fresh basil-2 tbsp or dried basil-2 tsp ( I used fresh)
Red chilli flakes-1 tsp
Freshly ground pepper-1/2 tsp
Sugar-1 tsp( optional)
Olive oil -2 tbsp
Toppings:( I made 3 medium sized pizzas with this dough, following toppings are for 1 pizza. You can add olives, mushrooms too but I had only the following veggies)
1) Dissolve sugar in 1 cup warm water, add yeast, give a good mix, cover and let it sit for 15 mins.
2) After 15 mins, the yeast doubles up and becomes frothy. Add olive oil and salt. Prepare the dough by adding flour 1 cup at a time. Add little more flour if the the dough is too sticky or some water if it is too dry. Knead it for 10 mins on the floured surface. Place the dough in a big bowl greased with olive oil, cover with damp napkin or just loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 2 hours.
3) Meanwhile make the sauce. Blanch the tomatoes for5 mins, peel and purée them
4) Take olive oil in a pan, add chopped garlic and sauté for few seconds. Add tomato purée , basil, oregano, pepper, chilli flakes, salt, sugar and mix well. Cook for 10 mins in medium to low flame . Done.
5) Take the risen dough, punch it back, knead for a minute, and divide it into 3 equal parts
6) Grease the baking pan with olive oil and dust it with flour.
7) Take one portion of the dough, knead it for few seconds and shape it like a ball, flatten it and roll iron a floured surface into a round shape of about 1/4 th inch thickness.( you can cling wrap and refrigerate the remaining dough. before making the pizza just bring the dough to room temperature for atleast 30 mins.The dough keeps for 2 days when refrigerated)
8) Carefully place the pizza base on a baking pan, brush it with little olive oil and prick it using the fork.
9)Spread about 3 tbsp of prepared pizza sauce on the base, top it with vegetables, and add generous amount of grated mozzarella cheese, bake for 20 minutes in a pre heated oven at 200 c
10) Sprinkle some Italian seasoning and serve with tomato sauce!